Thursday, March 24, 2011

Think It Up Thursday


So I totally made the title up. Kind of dumb but I'm going to roll with it.

Well today was about the same as most days here.
Braless and unshowered until midafternoon.
Phone call from husband asking... What's for dinner.
Me mentally thinking 'whatever you're cooking'.
But actually saying, I don't know babe, do Enchilada's sound good?
He says yes, phone call ends.
I go to the kitchen to look to see if I even have the stuff to make Enchiladas.
I don't.

So.... I got creative. I pretended to be on Top Chef and I was in a challenge. I had certain ingredients to work with and I had to make an entree' all on my own.... FROM SCRATCH!

Here is my version tonight of an enchilada casserole thingy.

What I used to make my enchilada sauce.


1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Can of Tomato Sauce
Add in Chili Powder (I don't measure so I have no clue how much I put in) I would guess a couple teaspoons
Add in Cayenne Pepper, this stuff can get spicy so be careful.
Add Cumin, couple teaspoons
Add Coriander, couple teaspoons
Sweet Paprika, couple teaspoons.
Bring to a boil... taste... add more of spices and salt until you are satisfied.
I added some canned tomatoes.

(I must say my house smelled so incredible. I am a spice hoarder. I love them! I add spice to everything. (haha!) but really. Get creative from your spice cabinet!!)

Then I cooked a box of Zataran's Spanish Rice

Cooked up my meat. I used Ground Elk. But any meat will work, chicken, ground beef, shredded beef. etc.

I also added Black Beans to bring some nutrition to this fatty dish. Plus I ♥ black beans!

After your sauce has been brought to a boil, your rice is cooked, and your meat is done grab your tortillas.
I used a low carb high fiber tortilla because that was all that was in my fridge. And I only had 2 of them. Lucky me I had just bought a bag of corn tortillas so I made one of my 'chiladas with corn tortillas.
Don't forget to Grate some cheese!!! I would have preferred PepperJack Cheese but Cheddar was what we had. It works!


Put a scoop of each (sauce, rice and meat) into the tortilla. Add a couple pinches of cheese. Roll and place in a greased oven safe dish.


NOW... once you have your 'chiladas rolled and in your dish you will more than likely have some leftovers of rice, meat and sauce. Pour it over the top. Take the rest of the grated cheese..... Oh but before you do anything with it. Take a pinch roll it into a ball like below....

And eat it. :) (I am a cheese lover and cannot have any cheese near me without eating some)

After you eat your cheeseball sprinkle the rest on top of your dish.

Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted and warm all the way thru.
I left mine in for 30 minutes then removed the foil until the cheese was perfect!
Serve with a scoop of sourcream!
ENJOY!

This isn't anything fancy. And frankly with enough cheese you can make almost anything taste good!

Things I would have loved to add if I had them in the pantry...
green chilies

No comments:

Post a Comment